Search This Blog

Friday, December 23, 2011

How is homosexuality seen in USA?

Posted: 22 Dec 2011 08:32 AM PST
Citizens of the United States of America has mixed views on homosexuality. There are many areas where homosexuals get viewed as normal people. Other areas, however, have an unyielding animosity towards the gay community. There seems that there is no middle ground for these two extreme viewpoints to agree on. Personally, I believe that homosexuals should have their equal rights granted to them.
Homosexuality in USAHomosexuality in USA
The southern region of the United States hold the greatest hostility against homosexuals. In my opinion, it;t their view on religion that causes this unreasonable hatred. A great number of southerners profess some form of Christianity. In Christianity, the Old Testament, specifically, incites prejudice against homosexuals. I think this reason to discriminate against law-abiding gay people is senseless. The main political doctrine that the United States is based on is: Freedom. Freedom does not only apply to Christians; all citizens of the United States deserve to enjoy their freedoms that they deserve.

The Northwest and Pacific coast portions of the United States are the more Liberal regions of our country, and as a result, more open to homosexuals. Liberals tend to support homosexuals because of their common belief in human rights. I, personally, don't think it is right that segments of the population are restricted from taking part in one of societies longest traditions: Marriage.
From my point of view, discriminating against homosexuals is becoming more and more looked down upon as our society progresses into the twenty-first century. Americans, even religious ones, are becoming more aware of the injustices that take place in this country. I recently read a heartwarming story online about a group of Christians who previously victimized gay people. Apparently, they went through a trans-formative experience and adjusted their views on homosexuality. Their shame overcame them and they expressed their sorrow by apologizing to gay people at a local gay pride parade.
The repeal of the discriminatory, Don't Ask Don't Tell Act is encouraging. By repealing this stone age law, homosexuals are legally allowed to serve openly in the United States military. This is great news! My reaction to this recent development in gay rights is that this is an additional example in the country's continuing acceptance of homosexuals. I know from history class that our military was first to desegregate African-Americans from white service members; they were also the first to openly accept gay people.
My opinion on homosexuals has gone through a great deal of metamorphoses. First, I was against the gay rights movement. I was a Christian that thought homosexuality was immoral in the eyes of god and that being gay was against god's will. To make a long story short, I became an atheist. After I had the disgusting morality of evangelical Christianity out of my head, I could think logically about the issue at hand. I thought to myself, how does being gay bring attract so much extreme dislike? To me, the only thing that differed between a gay person and me is the gender of the person we get attracted to. Ever since, my view on homosexuality has been that of acceptance.
What is in store for homosexuality in the future? Honestly, I believe homosexuals will become more and more accepted throughout American society and eventually be granted their right to marry. I base these predictions on the fact that, many occasions of bullying against gays get displayed throughout the media and many Americans are becoming disgusted with the injustice towards gay people.
Throughout the United States I find that homosexuality is becoming more accepted. Although there is much work to be done, gay people will most likely have their full rights granted to them within the next twenty years.

No comments:

Post a Comment