Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Soap star cleared by jury on all counts in child sex abuse case in just 29 minutes

Soap star cleared by jury on all counts in child sex abuse case in just 29 minutes

Andrew Lancel had no comment after verdict, wants to spend time with family
| By Greg Hernandez
Andrew_Lancel
A jury on Monday (10 June) took just 29 minutes to clear actor Andrew Lancel of Coronation Street fame on all counts in a child sex abuse case.
Lancel, 42, had been accused of sexually assaulting a boy aged 14 and 15 in the mid-1990s. Lancel said during the trial that his accuser, now a ballet dancer, was a close friend of 20 years.
After the verdict was read, the actor - whose real name is Andrew Watkinson - bit his lip and looked to the ceiling of Liverpool Crown Court. His wife, Louise, burst into tears.
The couple then walked out of court hand in hand and were soon crowded around by photographers.
Lancel posed for photos but left the speaking to his solicitor who read this statement: 'Andrew would like to thank his family and friends and all parties for their support and prayers. He just wants to spend time with his family.'
Lancel appeared in the role of Frank Foster on Coronation Street from November 2010 through March 2012 when his character was killed off.
In police interviews last year, Lancel had said: ‘I’m not gay but I’m 42 – I’m not going to lie and say I’ve never dabbled.
‘I’m an actor. I’ve done things when I was drunk like show and tell.
‘There was no touching. I’ve got my cock out on a number of occasions. It was a bohemian time.’

No comments:

Post a Comment