Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Gay Good Samaritan Beaten Outside Columbus, Ohio, Bar

Gay Good Samaritan Beaten Outside Columbus, Ohio, Bar

Chris Ashcraft was assaulted outside an Ohio gay bar after offering to help a man who claimed to be having trouble with his car.

BY Jase Peeples

June 11 2013 5:25 PM ET
 
 

Chris Ashcraft, gay man from northern Kentucky, says he was beaten by a group of men outside a Columbus, Ohio, bar on June 6 because of his sexual orientation, reports WCPO.
According to Ashcraft, he was smoking outside the Southbend Tavern in the Merion Village neighborhood when a man approached him asking for assistance with his car at approximately 9:30 p.m.
After the he agreed to help, the 25-year-old says, he was jumped by several men who viciously beat him, leaving him unconscious in an alley behind the bar.
“I was taken by surprise. I don’t really remember much from that point on,” Ashcraft told WCPO. “When I was on the ground they kicked me in the face until I was unconscious. My guess, it was an hour to an hour and a half until I woke up.”
Because the men took Ashcraft’s wallet, Columbus police are currently investigating the attack as a robbery, saying there isn’t enough evidence to classify the incident as a hate crime. Nevertheless, Ashcraft is certain he was targeted because he is gay.
“It was a hate crime,” Ashcraft said. “I was hanging out at a gay bar. It’s Pride Month.”
As yet, no suspects have been named in the case
Watch WCPO’s coverage of the attack here.

No comments:

Post a Comment